DENR, PIA, AUL to hold Regional Environmental Summit
Legazpi City—A thousand student leaders are expected to join the Regional Environmental Summit to be hosted by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) Bicol, Phil. Information Agency (PIA) and Aquinas University of Legazpi City (AUL) on September 12, 2014 at the AUL Dome in Rawis, Legazpi City.
DENR Bicol Regional Director Gilbert Gonzales said the confab is part of the DENR-PIA national Climate Change Advocacy campaign, which aims to temper public apathy toward climate change through strategic communication and social mobilization.
“We need to engage our youth, especially our student leaders from various tertiary level institutions to instill in their minds adaptation and mitigation measures to better equip them against the dire impact of climate change,” Dir. Gonzales explained.
RD Gonzales said the activity will be serve as a nexus for the motivation of the youth to act and participate in the climate change advocacy.
Topics to be discussed in the morning will be “Climate Change: Thinking Globally, Acting Locally by, Governor Joey Salceda of Albay; and”Climate Change Advocacy: Imperatives for Behavior Change by Director General Jose Mari Oquineña of PIA.
In the afternoon, topics are “DENR’s Perspective and Plan of Action on Climate Change Adaptation” by DENR Sec. Ramon Paje; and “Situationer-Insights into Climate Change Adaptation” by Engr. Virgilio Perdigon of AUL.
An open forum will ensue after every topic presentation.
Press Release: September 9. 2014
“If the underwater theme park would cause the destruction of corals, right away, I will say no way. The fishermen need corals. The corals are the home for the fish, and some of our corals have shells and sponges that can cure cancer. I will never allow our biodiversity to be killed for money that some people want to make.
The Philippines is a country of seven thousand islands, which has the highest endemism per unit area in the entire world, while Palawan is the number one island destination in the planet. It has rich biodiversity and lots of ecotourism potentials that should be primarily tapped by the Filipino people for the Filipino people.
In any case, whatever decision that the DENR will make shall be filtered and anchored on social justice, which means that the marine resources of Palawan should benefit the greater majority.”###
- Statement of DENR Secretary Gina Lopez on the proposed underwater theme park in Coron, Palawan
- DENR Region V asin mga Field Offices, aktibo sa Disaster Preparedness
- DENR Padagus sa Pakisumaro sa Post Typhoon Activities Kaibahan an Ibang Ahensya
- Mga Troso Kumpiskado sa Camarines Norte
- Illegal Lumber Apprehended in Camarines Norte
- Principals and School Teachers Trained to Interpret Geohazard Maps
- DENR, 10 LGUs lumagda sa MoPA, namigay ng 3119 titulo ng lupa sa Bicol
- Limang Saringaya Awardees pinarangalan ng DENR
- Five environment-promoting entities get DENR Saringaya Awards
- Cong. Leni Robredo hails champions for the environment 2015